Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:32 AM Post #1
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 1:13 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Threads: 293
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:32 AM Post #2

Written by Byteme96, Edited by Limor

This month sure was a fun-filled month with the Summer Fest going on! From August 16th till September 20th, well all have plenty of time to collect some new Themed, explore Esiors Cove and its new Named, compete in the Summer Fest Contests and decorate your avatar with the new Avi Items!

Esiors Cove has once again returned! Put on your battling gear and lets explore this vast map!
By fighting Sylestis, Nightfall Bandits and others can result in drops including Sun Tokens (the Summer Festival currency), Sculpting supplies, Fishing Poles and Beach Shovels. In addition, you can battle a total of 16 Named, 12 of them new with brand new Avi Items, spawning across 8 different spawn locations across Esiors Cove, dropping all sorts of Fest stuff and sometimes an item from their unique Avi Item set! To top that all off, 34 different Themed, 17 of which are new, can be found roaming the Zone or tucked inside an Abandoned Nest.

The Task Log is also back with over 40 Tasks to complete in this Fest. By completing these tasks, you can earn rewards such as Sun Tokens and various Fest Items. If you manage to finish every single task in the Log, you can receive a Peerless Avatar Token which can be used in the Avatar Shop to buy special Avi Items.

Sylesti Sand Sculpting has returned with 27 new Themed! By purchasing sand to fill your sandboxes, you can pick a Catalyst to start sculpting and use your Sculpting Supplies to customise the resulting pet.

But wait, there's more cool stuff in this Fest! Beach Treasure Seeking is back with awesome prizes! By using Fishing Poles and Beach Shovels found throughout the Fest, you can find Gold and all sorts of Items. While Wooden Tools and Iron Tools have the same prize pool, Iron Tools have a higher chance of getting you better prizes. But what about the Majestic Tools? Well, with them, you can get Items that cannot be found using the Iron or Wooden Tools!

Calling all avi battlers and fast-fingered nurturers! I present to you, the Leaderboard Contests! From 8/20 to 9/11, three rounds of the Contests will occur. These contests are divided into a Enemies Defeated board (or more affectionately known as the Murdurboard) and a Pets Nurtured Board. By nurturing a specific specie, you earn points for the board of that specific species. Say I nurtured a Draeyl and bam! A point on the Draeyl board for me! Points for the Battling Board will be determined by how many enemies you defeat in the Fest Zone with pets of that Species.

And that's not all. Just like every Fest, Faiona and Krinadon have organised some awesome Forum Games for everyone to take part in!

The first Forum Game is 'Avatar Dress Up' where players must design their own Summer-Themed Avi to participate. Phew, I'm getting hot just by looking at all these fantastic entries.
Some favorites are shown below!

Limor - Lazy Summer Goddess

"With warmth comes a the gentle wish to laze around. The sun's heat brings about the drowsy days when all you want to do is lie in the sun and sleep. The summer goddess is no exception, she is one with the daydreams and visions that come with being half asleep. She lives in a time somewhere between reality and fiction. You may see her in your dreams, you may see her in the corner of your eye, but you will never see her head on. Know she cares for you and all the other summer beings. She is a gentle creature, who only wants to bring warmth and happiness to those she watches over."

Ciel44 - Hummingbird Prince

"My avi is based on the hummingbird prince. Guiding all lost hums to nectar or providing it himself if he can't reach any. He was gifted his wings by the angels on the promise to always protect and do good for those in need of help. He has lived by that promise and is seen as a guardian angel by all"

Dragongem23 - The Heart Of Zerzura

"Somewhere off the coast of africa lies a island,hidden from the rest of the world by a magical illusion powered by a gift given to the people of the island.They call it the Heart of Zerzura,a pale green stone gifted to them by their god Apedemak.

(Based on the Legend of the Same name used in the book Pirates Of The Caribbean:The Price Of Freedom)"

The second is the '3-Visible Summer Pet'. To participate in this well-known game, players scramble to the Generators to design a 3-Vis Summer-Themed Sylesti.
Some staff favorites for this section are shown below as well!

Amberwing - Poison Dart Frog

Marichoness - Gold and Purple Petunia

Koterfaye - Mossy Forest

The third and last Forum Game is the 'Wordsearch' featuring all sorts of ice-cream flavours! Players just need to complete the Wordsearch and send it to OfficialGames by PM. Ooh those are some yummy flavours for everyone to find!

Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 1:03 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:32 AM Post #3

Written and edited my Limor

Note: All winners are put into a drawing to get a final winner!

Last time, no one submitted a finished game, so that prize is still up for grabs!

Now, onto new games!

Word Search

Here, we have your average word search. To complete the word search, pop it into a drawing program like MS Paint or FireAlpaca, and once you're finished, DM the messages to Limor. Don't share your answers! The prize is this pet:

Welcome to the crossword! All answers can be found by looking through the world of Sylestia, and I will release hints as needed. Same as before, when you're finished, DM your answers to Limor. Don't share your answers. The prize is this lovely :

If you ever want to play old Times games in your free time, they can be found here!
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 12:38 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:32 AM Post #4

Writers and Editors Named Above Each Section

Podcast Review
Written by Limor, edited by Limor
Welcome to another podcast review! In this podcast review we will be taking a look into Unexplained, a podcast by Richard Mclain Smith.

This podcast is (as you might have guessed) about phenomenons that can't be rationally explained. The podcasts looks into the paranormal, crpytid, alien, and more. This podcast is quite short, running around 20 minutes per episode and is a great short listen. This podcast - despite covering unexplained events - does it's best to provide scientific answers to the questions and stories it explores, why all also acknowledging the more mystical side of things. It is a great listen and I suggest you all check it out!

YouTuber Review
Written by Orcastration, edited by Limor

So recently I got back into watching animations and one of my favorite animation channels (well technically it's an animation group.) is Element Animation! Element Animation is an animation group that has over 3.5 million subscribers as of the time I'm writing this and....Well, as most of you probably know I like Minecraft. But the good thing is, even if you don't have a clue what Minecraft is, there are a few other options on their channel for funny animations and songs. Basically by watching you will probably either laugh a lot, cringe a lot, or fluctuate between the two-I recommend starting out with The Crack! series :)

Warning: psycho eggs and very noob-level Minecraft villagers ahead. Watch at your own risk of facepalming.

Book Series Review
Written by Orcastration, edited by Limor

An old favorite of mine is the Newbury Honor book Princess Academy (and of course its two sequels, Princess Academy: Palace of Stone and Princess Academy: The Forgotten Sisters) by Shannon Hale, which comes as a three-book series. The series follows Miri, a mountain village girl who, along with others in her village, attend a "Princess Academy" in hopes of winning the hand of the prince of the kingdom. I won't spoil the details (other then that new girl in town isn't who people think she is....). It's a fun read, and I advise you read all three if you can somehow manage the time-it's worth it and the third book is seriously epic-level for me personally. Weirdly enough I seem to have managed to miss the second book almost entirely, though I can definitely say that it didn't seem to severely impact the main plot line to an obnoxious degree, though I can't say for sure since I never actually....got around to reading it....heh.....*quietly slips off to go find that second book*
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 12:39 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:32 AM Post #5

now paying!

Have a birthday next month? Want a happy birthday message on the Times? DM Limor for more info!

Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 12:39 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:33 AM Post #6

Written by Mossflight2 and Sadie, edited by Limor

Q: What is your opinion on the forest sprites in the Lost Grove?
A: Well, I dont like them, but theyre definitely better than those pesky water sprites. Honestly, I think theyre kind of cute!

Q: Out of all the new restricted traits that were released, which one is your favorite and why?
A: I love the Vulnyx traits, since I think they just look so regal and majestic! I really like the Lunemara traits as well, especially the wings, because of how cool they look!

You have a question you want to ask Sadie? DM a times staff member and i'm sure she'll give you her thoughts on things!

and a little fun extra here is a little comic I found in one of the older times where Sadie was named for the first time by Taptothebeat:
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 1:11 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:33 AM Post #7

Comic by Aspenanimations, Written and Edited by Limor

Comic: The Rift p2!

(and view previous chapters here!)

And now an interview with Bugwings, a new sylestia artist!

1. What is your favorite piece of art you've made?
Lately I've been trying a more detailed/realistic style than what I usually do, and I'm really proud of what I've been doing with that, so it's hard to not say it's one of those pieces, however looking back on my more simplistic art I have to go with one of those.

Specifically, this piece, it ended up looking exactly how I envisioned it when I started and I have to say I'm really proud of it

2. What do you like doing most in a drawing? (lining, coloring, shading, etc)
It's a close tie between shading and lining! There's something about doing lineart that I find to be very calming, though shading is extremely satisfying as it really brings the entire piece together.

3. How long have you been drawing for?
All my life! I used to ask for copy paper and pencils for my birthday just because of sheer amount of it I went through.

4. Do you prefer traditional or digital art? Why?
Currently I would say I prefer to do digital art, though I only recently got a drawing tablet, and before that I was doing it on my phone. At that point in time, I much preferred traditional sketches and painting.

5. Anything else?
I tend to mostly draw fanart to be honest, however I started doing commissions just this year and it's gotten me to step out of that comfort zone a bit. Though I still enjoy doing fanart the most, and using other's art as references, I think it's helped me improve a lot over the years.

--

Examples

I post art on my tumblr here and I'm doing commissions here!
Edited By Limor on 9/22/2020 at 9:54 PM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:33 AM Post #8
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 12:41 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:33 AM Post #9

Written by Limor, edited by Limor
A few links to check out when making designs are:
Themed pet reference pages by Xavion
Comprehensive Guide to Themed Pets by Lavelle
Guide to Themed Pet Contests by Scathreoite

Hello guys! So in this designers guide we'll be taking a look at designs that have been species swapped, and what changes were made! First off we have an interview with Anemochory (Lonefox/Ponder) and their Rainforest Quitari which was swapped to the Rainforest Zolnixi!

1. Now with your rainforest design I adored the original, the new version seems quite different, what are your opinions on this change?
Thank you! I think the changes were definitely necessary for the species swap. Putting my original color palette onto the Zolnixi results in some less than pleasant genes. I do wish the yellower shade of green had survived the swap, somewhere, but considering there isn't an equivalent slot on the Zolnixi, I can understand the change.

2. What would you change about the zolnixi to make the design better/different on this species swap?
What stands out to me the most is that the base color scheme is quite different from the Qitari, because the green is reduced to the base rune marking. If I had been designing for the Zolnixi, I think I would have put a green color in the C2 slot to maintain the traitless base colors. This also allows for a warmer green closer to the original in the rune slot (G3).
(Original----My change)

3. Are you glad your rainforest qitari got species swapped or no?
I honestly don't generally collect Qitari, so I'm not unhappy with the change to Zolnixi, which I like a bit more. I designed the original because of a wild Qitari, so the theme didn't have a particular tie to the species.

4. Are you happy with the species swap?
As I said, I do like Zolnixi a bit more than Qitari, so I'm generally satisfied with the change. The color slots are used differently, but I think it worked out. There are some traits on the Zolnixi that are also quite fitting and look nice, like the Twisted Root traits. This is also my first Zolnixi theme picked, so that's a plus!

5. Anything else?
I'm mainly happy that the colors were liked enough to be used. As long as someone enjoys the theme, I'm content!

and now lets take a look at Asphodels' redesign of her cotton candy morkko - which was originally a griffi.

(old/new)

and the griffi that was species swapped:

"Originally, my design didn't have any purple/purplish blue, so I tried to reflect that by changing the purple/purple blue slots to either pink or blue. Think it looks a bit more like cotton candy this way & is closer to the original design."

I hope you enjoyed this addition of the designer's guide!
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 12:42 AM.
Limor
Level 72
The Kind-Hearted
Posted: 9/1/2020 at 12:33 AM Post #10

A collab between Larkien and Orcastration, edited by Limor

(This is Orca. ><>)

(This is Lark. Yeet.)

Hey, its Lark here (yes, Im writing the first paragraph for once \o/). If youre reading this, congratulations, you already have experience with this months topic - the forums! The Sylestia forums are, of course, a major feature of the site. Theyre pretty self-explanatory, but we thought wed do a short article covering some tips, tricks, and clarification on stuff.

And hello there, Im Orca. And yes, I let Lark do the intro.well actually I think this is the first time Ive been the one prodded to write.
*ahem* Anyways, the Forums. Even if Ive got this whole guide on it (lets be honest, how likely is it youll even know how to get to it)? So yeah. Thats why this is here.

Anyways, to start off, the Forums are where everything that doesnt happen in the exploration area happens. Announcements, fest overviews, forum games, clubs, groups, roleplaying, you name it, its probably in there somewhere. Theres also a place to introduce yourself and ask questions, and once you learn your way around, you may find yourself spending a lot of time in this part of the Site.

Orca is totally not referencing us. Yup, the forums are very, very addictive. Even if you dont spend most of your time in the forums, youre likely going to have to check back from time to time, whether its a site-wide ping from an admin announcing festival stuff (more on that later), or just if you have a question you need answered. Then theres all that extracurricular stuff like RPing and forum games. But thats just some of the stuff you can do. Its like a whole other world, honestly. That Orca and I spend too much time in.

A whole new world- Ok Ill stop singing now lol XD
Anyways Im getting off topic. Theres a lot that happens in the forums. Which Ill just list out because its going to be much easier

Site-wide admin pings. Do with theres as you wish, just whatever you do, do not click the red cross thingy next to the username of Faiona or Krinadon, whoevers pinging. Thats how you miss important updates, announcements, and event stuff. I advise simply clicking on the blue links to the thread and seeing whats happening, especially if its a Krinadon ping. Youll also get pinged for the Sylestia Times thread, which if you came here because of that.well, Im not sure why Im telling you this all over again.

User pings. These are done by other users to let you know theyre replying to you on a thread. Or they might be interest pings, which youll get many of if you roleplay in the forums. So dont be alarmed if people start pinging you randomly. The more time you spend in the forums, the more interest pings youll probably get. Also, dont forget to ping back when you reply, its really easy to miss a reply if you dont ping and other more forum-active users are doing a lot of stuff! (Especially important if its a question you ask_

Questions and Player intros Feel free to ask a question in the Q&A forum or introduce yourself (whether a new or old player) in the Player Intro forum! Be warned newbies, we old players like to bury your lot under massive piles of pets and items and give you books of text on advice for the game to read. Though were not scaring you off, we promise!

Games and Contests. Fun little forum games like Look to you Left, Count to ____, giveaways, design comps, etc. Join at your leisure and have some fun!

Clubs and Groups. Fanclubs for certain species/fandoms, genetic testing services,, pet designing, avi obsessing, and a lot more. Definitely check these out if you want to find people with similar interests or goals!

Roleplaying(and roleplaygaming). Which Lark and I do way too much of. Or we used to. I mean we still do. Stuff tends to die on here but we try :) And a few roleplays have made it pretty far...Its really quite fun and roleplayers are usually also the ones with massive amounts of forum post counts. Let us know through a PM or something if you ever want to join and dont know where to start-were happy to lend a fin (hand in Larks case).

Site (and non-site) discussion. Something that you might want to participate in sometime. Should be pretty obvious, as long as it doesnt get...dirty. Weve had issues on that in the past. Try to keep from bashing each other, mkay?

Player-made Guides. Because the Sylestia Wiki is very outdated, very much in need of help, and not the best guide out there, we have this. Weve got guides on avi making, roleplaying, designing, game walkthroughs, you name it we probably have it.

And so much more! Check out my little guide thingy linked above for more info, or browse around.

The buttons and stuff on the forums are pretty self-explanatory, but Ill go over them anyways.
Making a new post in a thread is simple, just click the New Post button at the bottom of a thread. Above the text box is a row of buttons - those are the formatting buttons, maybe well go over what they individually do another time: they let you add links, format your text, add images, etc. Just play around with those and you should get a pretty good idea of how they work. Above that is the ping box.
Pinging someone on a post will give them a notification that youve posted, and is crucial to getting someones attention on a forum thread (theres no guarantee someone will see a post otherwise). The ping system is kind of different from most sites (at least, those Ive seen). Typing someones name in the ping box will ping them when you post. You can type multiple peoples usernames in the box, separated with commas (ex. Orcastration, Larkien, Krinadon). If you just want to ping one person, theres a faster way. See the blue @ sign in the bottom right of anyone elses post? Clicking that will make a new post with that persons name automatically in the ping box.
Note: If you ping someone through the @ button, and then remove their name from the ping box, they will still be pinged automatically (I think its a bug). You can, however, switch their username out for another username, which will ping that person instead, of course. Its just useful to remember so you dont accidentally ping someone if you meant not to.
If you get a ping, going to the forum home page will display it at the top. Click on the link to take you there. Click on the X to the right to delete it, but dont click the red button to the left unless you want to block the person pinging you.
The report button is in the other bottom corner of a persons post, hopefully you dont have to use that too much, but dont be afraid to report someone if it comes to that.
Next to each forum thread or topic is an icon that looks like a chat bubble. Click on a forum thread, and the icon will turn white. If someone has posted on that thread or topic since you last clicked on it, it will become yellow. If the icon is a lock instead of a chat bubble, that means the thread/topic is locked - you cant make a new thread if its a topic, and you cant edit/make new posts if its a thread.
Theres a pretty easy way to tell if a thread is yours just by glancing at the list of threads in a topic - itll have a tiny avatar at the top right of the icon.
Oh, and you can collapse each forum section by clicking the gray minus (-) sign at the top right. I didnt realize that until well, way too late.
Aaaaand that was really long. Oh well, hope it helps :)

Well, anyways, as I've said before, if you want more detailed stuff I've linked a handy How to Use the Forums guide above and as always youre welcome to PM us with any questions you have! Sea-yall next time and if there's a specific topic you want covered, let us know - ideas and suggestions are more than welcome!
Edited By Limor on 9/1/2020 at 12:43 AM.
Go to Page:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This Page loaded in 0.014 seconds.
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Credits | Job Opportunities
© Copyright 2011-2024 Sylestia Games LLC.
All names and logos associated with Sylestia are Trademarks of Sylestia Games LLC.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
For questions, comments, or concerns please email at Support@Sylestia.com.